Antibiotic (antimicrobial) resistance
Help prevent antibiotic resistance by learning about its causes, impact and which bacteria and illnesses are antibiotic-resistant. Also discover helpful resources.
Learn how antibiotic resistance develops, how resistant bacteria are spread and how to reduce the risk of antibiotic resistance.
Discover which bacteria and illnesses are antibiotic-resistant and why they can be difficult to treat.
Know the risks of antibiotic resistance to human health and who is most at risk.
Help prevent antibiotic resistance by following these tips on avoiding illness and using antibiotics responsibly.
Learn how antibiotic use and resistance are researched and monitored in Canada
Find print-ready and online resources to raise awareness on antibiotic resistance.
We are working to prevent, limit and control the spread of antimicrobial resistance (AMR). Learn how the Government of Canada monitors AMR and supports the proper use of antimicrobials (antibiotics) in both humans and animals.
Learn about antimicrobial resistance in animals, surveillance, policy development and outreach activities.
What we are doing
- Canada Communicable Disease Report (CCDR): Volume 41S-5, November 19, 2015: Antimicrobial resistance and innovation
- Canadian Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance System (CARSS) Report 2015
- National Laboratory Surveillance of Invasive Streptococcal Disease in Canada - Annual Summary 2014
- National Surveillance of Antimicrobial Susceptibilities of Neisseria gonorrhoeae - Annual Summary 2014
- Federal Action Plan on Antimicrobial Resistance and Use in Canada: Building on the Federal Framework for Action
- Antimicrobial Resistance and Use in Canada: A Federal Framework for Action
- Pathogen Reduction Initiative
- Food Safety Recognition Program
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research Antimicrobial Resistance Initiatives
- Date modified: