Recalls and alerts more than 4 years old are automatically archived. While this information can still be accessed in the database, it has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Unauthorized dangerous health products found at Calgary retailer
- Starting date:
- May 30, 2013
- Posting date:
- May 30, 2013
- Type of communication:
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Unauthorized products
- General Public
- Identification number:
- What you should do
- Who is affected
- Report health or safety concerns
- Related AWRs
- Media enquiries
- Public enquiries
- What Health Canada is doing
Two unauthorized health products - "Stiff Nights" and "Stiff 4 Hours" - were tested by Health Canada and were found to contain hidden ingredients (sildenafil and/or tadalafil) that may pose serious risks to the health of Canadians. The products were being sold at Saints N Sinners Ltd, 1715 Centre Street N.W., Calgary, Alberta.
These products are promoted as male sexual stimulants that contain hidden prescription medications. Approved drugs that contain these ingredients can only be sold with a prescription and by a pharmacy. The purchase of such unauthorized products elsewhere can put your health at serious risk.
What you should do
- Consult your healthcare practitioner with any questions or concerns regarding use of these products.
- Read the label of the products you buy to verify that they have been assessed by Health Canada for safety, effectiveness and quality. Health products that have been authorized for sale by Health Canada will have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), a Homeopathic Medicine Number (DIN-HM) or a Natural Product Number (NPN) on the label. Some natural health products (NHPs) may have an Exemption Number (EN).
- Report any adverse reaction potentially related to these products to Health Canada.
- Contact Health Canada's toll-free line at 1-800-267-9675 with questions or complaints about these products.
Who is affected
Canadians who have purchased or used these products, particularly people with heart problems.
Sildenafil and tadalafil are prescription medications that should only be used under the supervision of a health care practitioner. Products containing sildenafil or tadalafil should never be used by individuals taking any kind of nitrate drug (e.g. nitroglycerine) as they can cause potentially life-threatening low blood pressure.
Individuals with heart problems including high blood pressure, a history of heart attack, stroke, abnormal heart beat or chest pain are at higher risk of cardiovascular side-effects if they engage in sexual activity, including if they use sildenafil or tadalafil to help them achieve an erection. Other possible side-effects of using sildenafil or tadalafil include headache, facial flushing, indigestion, dizziness, abnormal vision and hearing loss.
Report health or safety concerns
- Call toll-free at 1-866-234-2345
- Visit MedEffect Canada's web page on Adverse Reaction Reporting for information on how to report online, by mail or by fax.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada has previously warned about the dangers of "Stiff Nights" and "Stiff 4 Hours". Health Canada has followed up with the retailer and they have removed the products from sale. Health Canada is also working with the Canada Border Services Agency to stop any shipments of "Stiff Nights" and "Stiff 4 Hours" from entering Canada.
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window
- Date modified: