Heartland Natural Wild Yam Moisturizing Cream contains undisclosed prescription drug ingredient
- Starting date:
- May 23, 2014
- Posting date:
- May 23, 2014
- Type of communication:
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Undeclared Substance
- General Public
- Identification number:
- Products affected
- What you should do
- Who is affected
- Report health or safety concerns
- Media enquiries
- Public enquiries
- What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada has requested that Christmas Natural Foods Ltd. stop selling and recall its unauthorized health product, Heartland Natural Wild Yam Moisturizing Cream, after testing conducted by the Department identified a undisclosed prescription drug ingredient, progesterone. Approved drugs that contain progesterone can only be sold by prescription. Progesterone can be associated with serious side effects, including an increased risk of blood clots.
1. Heartland Natural Wild Yam Moisturizing Cream
What you should do
- Contact your health care practitioner if you have any questions or concerns regarding the use of this product.
- Call Health Canada's toll-free line at 1-800-267-9675 with questions or complaints about this product.
- Report any adverse events with this product to Health Canada.
Who is affected
Canadians who have used or purchased Heartland Natural Wild Yam Moisturizing Cream.
Progesterone is associated with side effects, in particular in certain vulnerable patients (for example, patients at risk of blood clots). Patients using this cream who are already taking progesterone-containing medications (i.e. birth control pills, hormone replacement therapy) may be at an elevated risk due to their overall progesterone exposure. Health risks most commonly arise after the long-term use of a cream containing undeclared progesterone.
Report health or safety concerns
- Call toll-free at 1-866-234-2345
- Visit MedEffect Canada's web page on Adverse Reaction Reporting for information on how to report online, by mail or by fax.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada will continue to work with the company to help ensure this product is recalled from the Canadian market. Should there be new information, Health Canada will inform Canadians, as necessary.
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window
For more informationConsumers and health professionals wanting more information about this advisory from Health Canada can contact the Public Enquiries Line at 613-957-2991, or toll free at 1-866-225-0709. Media enquiries related to this Advisory should be directed to Health Canada Media Relations at 613-957-2983.
- Date modified: