Nest Labs Recalls to Repair Nest Protect Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Starting date:
- May 30, 2014
- Posting date:
- May 30, 2014
- Type of communication:
- Consumer Product Recall
- Household Items, Electronics
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Product Safety, Important Safety Information
- General Public
- Identification number:
Joint recall with Health Canada, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (US CPSC) and Nest Labs.
Nest Protect: Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
This recall involves all Nest Protect Smoke + CO Alarms, including model numbers S1002LB and S1002LW (120V), and S1002BB and S1002BW (Battery).
The alarms are made of black or white plastic and are about 5.25 inches square with rounded corners, and about 1.5 inches deep. The word 'nest' is on a large button on the face of the alarm. Consumers can enable the alarms to be controlled by a computer or a smartphone over a wireless network. The alarms have a Nest Wave feature, which allows users to temporarily silence some alerts or cancel a manual test by vigorously waving an arm near the unit that triggered the alarm. Nest Protect Smoke + CO alarms came from the factory with the Nest Wave feature enabled and with the slider button in the “On” position in Nest Protect Settings.
Nest Labs has identified a situation where activity near the product during a fire can prevent the alarm from immediately sounding when the Nest Wave feature is enabled.
Neither Health Canada nor Nest Labs has received any reports of consumer incidents, injuries or property damage related to the use of these products.
Approximately 31,000 units were sold in Canada and approximately 200,000 units were sold in the United States.
Time period sold
The Nest Protect was sold in Canada from November 17, 2013 through April 3, 2014 through several distributors and retailers (including online retailers).
Place of origin
Manufactured in China.
Nest Labs Inc.
- AARtech Canada Inc.
- AVAD Distributors Canada
- Best Buy Canada Ltd.
- Carrier Enterprise Canada, L.P.
- Home Depot Canada
- Lowe's Companies, Inc. (CANADA)
- Service Experts - Canada
- Synnex Canada Ltd.
What you should do
Nest Labs introduced an automatic repair on April 2, 2014, which was delivered wirelessly to devices that are connected to a wireless network and linked to a Nest account. The repair automatically disabled the Nest Wave feature. Consumers do not need to return their devices to receive this repair, but they should confirm that their devices received the update.
Consumers should take one of the following actions:
1. Consumers who have not connected and linked their Nest Protect device to a Nest Account should immediately do so. Once the device is connected to a network and linked to a Nest Account the device will automatically receive the update that disables the Nest Wave feature. Customers should confirm the receipt of the update by going to Nest Sense on their Nest account mobile or web application and ensure that the button for Nest Wave is set to “off” and grayed out.
Step by step instruction can be found at Nest's recall website or by contacting Nest Labs.
2. Consumers whose Nest Protect devices are connected to their wireless network and linked to a Nest Account should immediately confirm the receipt of an automatic repair that disabled the Nest Wave feature by going to Nest Sense on their Nest account mobile or web application and ensure that the button for Nest Wave is set to "off" and grayed out. No further action is required and consumers can continue to use their devices.
3. Consumers who cannot or do not wish to connect their devices to a wireless network to have the Nest Wave feature disabled should contact Nest Labs by telephone at 1-800-249-4280 or Nest's website for a full refund.
Consumers may view the release by the US CPSC on the Commission's website
Please note that the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act prohibits recalled products from being redistributed, sold or even given away in Canada.
Health Canada would like to remind Canadians to report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product or any other consumer product or cosmetic by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.
- Date modified: