Additional products seized from two Calgary stores pose health risks
- Starting date:
- December 31, 2014
- Posting date:
- December 31, 2014
- Type of communication:
- Information Update
- Natural health products
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Important Safety Information, Product withdrawal, Unauthorized products
- General Public
- Identification number:
- What you should do
- Report health or safety concerns
- Related AWRs
- Media enquiries
- Public enquiries
- What Health Canada is doing
Further to its recent Advisory, Health Canada has identified additional products seized from two Calgary stores that pose a risk to health.
The labels on these products indicate they contain an ingredient or a combination of ingredients that can cause serious health risks (yohimbine, or ephedrine and caffeine). None of the products are approved for sale. The products are promoted for body building purposes, including for weight loss and increased energy, or for sexual enhancement.
|Samson's Supplements, 4515 Macleod Trail SW, Calgary, AB|
|Nutrex Research Lipo6 Black||Yohimbine|
|Nutrex Research Lipo6 Black Hers||Yohimbine|
|Nutrex Research Lipo6 Unlimited||Yohimbine HCL|
|Nutrex Research Lipo6 Black Ultra Concentrate||Yohimbine|
|Samson's Supplements: 1108 4th Street SW Calgary, Alberta|
|West Pharm Xtra Lean||Ephedrine and Caffeine - MaHuang (standardised for 20mg ephedrine)(335 mg per capsule) and Guarana extract (standardised for 200mg caffeine)(910 mg per capsule)|
|West Pharm ThermaLean||Ephedrine and Caffeine- MauHuang (standardised for 8% ephedrine) and Kola Nut (standardised for 50% caffeine)|
|West Pharm ThermoMAXXX (bottle of 80 and 160 capsules)||Ephedrine and Caffeine - MauHuang (standardised for 8% ephedrine) and Kola Nut (standardised for 75% caffeine)|
|Twinlab Ripped Fuel||Ephedrine and Caffeine - MaHuang (standardized for 6% ephedrine) with Guarana extract (standardized for 22% caffeine)|
|Samson's Supplements: 4515 Macleod Trail SW, & 1108 4th Street SW, Calgary, AB|
|West Pharm Yohimbe Extract (bottle of 50 and 100 capsules)||Yohimbe (standardised for 9% yohimbine)|
|NutraKey Yohimbine HCl||Yohimbine HCl|
What you should do
- Consult with your doctor if you have used these products and have health concerns.
- Read the label of the products you buy to verify that they have been assessed by Health Canada for safety, effectiveness and quality. Health products that have been authorized for sale by Health Canada will have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), a Homeopathic Medicine Number (DIN-HM) or a Natural Product Number (NPN) on the label.
- Report any adverse events to Health Canada.
These products contain ingredients that can cause serious health problems. Ephedrine and caffeine, when combined, may cause serious and possibly fatal adverse effects. Ephedrine taken in combination with caffeine can cause symptoms ranging from dizziness, tremors, headaches and irregularities in heart rate to seizures, psychosis, heart attacks and stroke. Canadians suffering from heart conditions, high blood pressure and diabetes are among those particularly at risk.
Yohimbine is a prescription drug and should only be used under the supervision of a healthcare practitioner. The use of any unauthorized drugs containing yohimbine (either as yohimbine hydrochloride or yohimbe bark extract) may result in serious adverse reactions, particularly in people with high blood pressure, heart, kidney or liver disease. Side effects associated with yohimbine include increased blood pressure and heart rate, anxiety, dizziness, tremors, headache, nausea and sleep disorders. It should not be used by children, pregnant or nursing women.
Report health or safety concerns
- Call toll-free at 1-866-234-2345
- Visit MedEffect Canada's web page on Adverse Reaction Reporting for information on how to report online, by mail or by fax.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada seized these products from two Samson's Supplements retail locations in the southwest of Calgary, Alberta (4515 Macleod Trail SW; and 1108 4th Street SW). Should additional retailers or distributors of this product be identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians.
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window
For more informationHealth Canada has issued previous notices involving some of these products:
- West Pharm Therma Lean Advisory (April 2014)
- TwinLab Ripped Fuel Recall Notice (March 2011)
- Nutrex Research Lipo 6 Recall Notice (April 2011)
- Nutrex Research Lipo 6X Advisory (January 2011), Recall Notice (January 2011)
- Lipo 6 Black, Lipo 6 Hers Black, Yohimbe Extract, Hydro Lean, Xtra Lean - Advisory (May 2010)
- West Pharm Therma Lean - Recall Notice (May 2010)
- West Pharm Therma Lean - Advisory (March 2010)
- Lipo 6, Lipo 6 Black, West Pharm ThermaLean, West Pharm ThermoMAXXX, West Pharm Xtra Lean (Advisory, November 2010)
- Date modified: