Unauthorized product, Animal Test, may pose serious risk to health
- Starting date:
- June 1, 2016
- Posting date:
- June 1, 2016
- Type of communication:
- Natural health products, Affects children, pregnant or breast feeding women, Specialized Products
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Unauthorized products
- General Public
- Identification number:
- What you should do
- Who is affected
- Affected products
- Report health or safety concerns
- Media enquiries
- Public enquiries
- What Health Canada is doing
As a follow-up to a previous advisory, Health Canada is reminding Canadians about the serious risks posed by the unauthorized product "Animal Test,"after identifying additional retailers and a distributor selling the product. This product may pose a serious risk to the health of Canadians. The product is marketed as a dietary supplement and is labelled to contain yohimbine, a prescription drug ingredient.
|Company||Location||Market Action||Date Added|
|BOSS Supplements||411 Bayfield Street, Barrie, Ontario||Removal from sale||March 23, 2016|
|Supplement King||1250 Brant Street, Unit 91, Burlington, Ontario||Removal from sale||May 20, 2016|
|Nutrition Excellence||1445 Norjohn Court, Unit 3, Burlington, Ontario||Product recall||May 30, 2016|
|Popeye's Supplements||11 William Kitchen Road, Toronto, Ontario||Removal from sale||May 30, 2016|
|Body Nutrition Systems||180 North Front Street, Belleville, Ontario||Removal from sale||May 30, 2016|
What you should do
- Consult with your health care practitioner if you have used this product and have health concerns.
- Read the product label to verify that health products have been authorized for sale by Health Canada. Authorized products have an eight-digit DIN, a DIN-HM or a NPN.
- Verify if products have been authorized for sale by searching the Drug Product Database and the Licensed Natural Health Product Database.
- Report side effects to Health Canada by calling toll-free 1-866-234-2345, or visit Health Canada's Web page on Adverse Reaction Reporting for information on how to report online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free 1-800-267-9675, or complete an online complaint form.
Who is affected
Consumers who have bought or used any of the affected product.
Yohimbine is a prescription drug ingredient. The use of drugs containing yohimbine (either as yohimbine hydrochloride or yohimbe bark extract) may result in serious adverse reactions, particularly in people with high blood pressure, heart, kidney or liver disease. Side effects associated with yohimbine include increased blood pressure and heart rate, anxiety, dizziness, tremors, headache, nausea and sleep disorders. It should not be used by children, pregnant or nursing women.
Ingredient: Yohimbine bark extract
Report health or safety concerns
- Call toll-free at 1-866-234-2345
- Visit MedEffect Canada's web page on Adverse Reaction Reporting for information on how to report online, by mail or by fax.
Stay connected with Health Canada and receive the latest advisories and product recalls using social media tools.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada is monitoring the stop sale and product recall. Should additional retailers or distributors of these products be identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians.