Recalls and alerts more than 4 years old are automatically archived. While this information can still be accessed in the database, it has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Update: Additional Probiotic Natural Health Products May Pose Serious Health Risks to Canadians with Milk Allergies
- Starting date:
- April 5, 2011
- Posting date:
- April 5, 2011
- Type of communication:
- Allergen - Milk, Natural health products
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Important Safety Information, Allergy Information
- General Public
- Identification number:
- What you should do
- Who is affected
- Affected products
- Report health or safety concerns
- Related AWRs
- Media enquiries
- Public enquiries
- What Health Canada is doing
Following our previous communications regarding Probiotic Natural Health Products, Health Canada is updating Canadians on two additional probiotic natural health products (listed below) found on the Canadian market that are labelled as vegan or not containing dairy (milk) but that may contain trace amounts of milk from ingredients used in the production process.
People with milk allergies can experience a range of mild to severe symptoms when exposed to even small amounts of milk proteins. Symptoms may include breathing difficulties that, in some cases, can be life threatening. To date, Health Canada has not received any reports of adverse reactions related to the use of Friendly Flora or Healthy Skin with Greens+.
What you should do
- Speak to your healthcare practitioner with any questions or concerns regarding further use of these products.
- Report any adverse reaction potentially related to these products to Health Canada (see below).
- Contact the company (listed below) concerning their product.
Who is affected
Canadians with milk allergies who have purchased or used Friendly Flora or Healthy Skin with Greens+.
Live microorganisms, including probiotics, which are included in some natural health products are grown in nutrient solutions called culture media. The culture media used to produce probiotics include a source of protein, which is frequently but not always derived from milk or soy, which are both priority allergens in Canada.
For products that are formulated as pills or dry powders, the culture media is mostly removed before freeze-drying. However, traces of milk, soy or any other priority allergen included can remain in the product in quantities sufficient to provoke an allergic reaction in highly sensitive individuals.
Friendly Flora, Healthy Skin with Greens+
1. Friendly Flora
2. Healthy Skin with Greens+
|Product||Company||Description||Company contact info|
|Friendly Flora||Avena Originals||360 mg Capsules (in 60, 120 and 240 count bottles)||1-800-207-2239|
|Healthy Skin with Greens+||Genuine Health||Powder (156 g and 469 g containers)||1-877-500-7888|
Report health or safety concerns
To report suspected adverse reaction to these or other health products, please contact Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program toll-free at 1-866-234-2345, or complete a Canada Vigilance Reporting Form and send to us using one of these methods:
- Facsimile: 1-866-678-6789
- Internet: MedEffect Canada
Mail: Canada Vigilance Program
Marketed Health Products Directorate
Ottawa, ON, Address Locator 0701E
Media enquiries related to this Advisory should be directed to Health Canada Media Relations at 613-957-2983.
Consumers and health professionals wanting more information about this advisory from Health Canada can contact the Public Enquiries Line at 613-957-2991, or toll free at 1-866-225-0709.
What Health Canada is doing
Friendly Flora is distributed by Avena Originals while Healthy Skin with Greens+ is distributed by Genuine Health. The products are being removed from the Canadian market by the companies; Health Canada will continue to work with Avena Originals and Genuine Health to help ensure that their products are appropriately labelled.
Should any new information be identified, Health Canada will continue to provide an update to Canadians.
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window
For more information
- Advisory (February 3, 2011): ExactTM Multi Greens Powder and Capsules Recalled as They May Pose Serious Health Risks to Canadians with Milk Allergies
- Advisory (December 24, 2010): Update: Four Probiotic Natural Health Products May Pose Serious Health Risks to Canadians with Milk or Soy Allergies
- Advisory (December 6, 2010): "Probiophilus" and ""Cultures de Yogourt 5 Milliards" May Pose Serious Health Risks to Canadians with Milk Allergies
- Warning (July 24, 2009): Milk Allergy Risk Identified in the Natural Health Product: Dophilus Chewable Tablets
- Date modified: