Recalls and alerts more than 4 years old are automatically archived. While this information can still be accessed in the database, it has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
"Hydro-Lean" weight loss product seized from two Calgary stores due to serious safety risks
- Starting date:
- December 23, 2014
- Type of communication:
- Natural health products
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- General Public
- Identification number:
- What you should do
- Who is affected
- Report health or safety concerns
- Related AWRs
- Media enquiries
- Public enquiries
- What Health Canada is doing
The unauthorized product “Hydro-Lean” was seized from two Calgary stores because the label indicates it contains a combination of ingredients that can cause serious health risks (ephedrine and caffeine). Canadians suffering from heart conditions, high blood pressure and diabetes are particularly at risk.
Hydro-Lean is promoted for body building purposes, including for weight loss and increased energy. It has not been approved for sale in Canada.
What you should do
- Consult with your doctor if you have used this product and have health concerns.
- Read the label of the products you buy to verify that they have been assessed by Health Canada for safety, effectiveness and quality. Health products that have been authorized for sale by Health Canada will have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), a Homeopathic Medicine Number (DIN-HM) or a Natural Product Number (NPN) on the label.
- Report any adverse events to Health Canada.
Who is affected
Consumers who have bought or used Hydro-Lean, particularly those with heart conditions, high blood pressure and diabetes.
Hydro Lean contains ingredients that can cause serious health problems. Ephedrine and caffeine, when combined, may cause serious and possibly fatal adverse effects. Ephedrine taken in combination with caffeine can cause symptoms ranging from dizziness, tremors, headaches and irregularities in heart rate to seizures, psychosis, heart attacks and stroke. Canadians suffering from heart conditions, high blood pressure and diabetes are among those particularly at risk.
Report health or safety concerns
- Call toll-free at 1-866-234-2345
- Visit MedEffect Canada's web page on Adverse Reaction Reporting for information on how to report online, by mail or by fax.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada has seized the product from two Samson’s Supplements retail locations in the southwest of Calgary, Alberta (4515 Macleod Trail SW; and 1108 4th Street SW).
Should additional retailers or distributors of this product be identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians.
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window