Recalls and alerts more than 4 years old are automatically archived. While this information can still be accessed in the database, it has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Foreign Product Alert: Body Bentonite Unique Healing Powder by Donna Pessin
- Starting date:
- June 2, 2015
- Posting date:
- June 2, 2015
- Type of communication:
- Foreign Product Alert (FPA)
- Natural health products
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Unauthorized products, Undeclared Substance
- General Public
- Identification number:
"Body Bentonite Unique Healing Powder by Donna Pessin" was found to contain high levels of metals which may pose serious health risks. This product is not authorized for sale in Canada and has not been found in the Canadian marketplace but it is possible it may have been brought into the country by travellers or purchased over the Internet.
|Product Name(s)||Hazard(s) Identified||Source of Alert||Other product information, if available||Image|
|Body Bentonite Unique Healing Powder by Donna Pessin||Undeclared metals||Health Canada||None available|
What you should do
- Contact the Health Products and Food Branch Inspectorate at 1-800-267-9675 if you find a product listed above in the Canadian marketplace.
- Consult with a healthcare professional if you have health concerns related to the use of Body Bentonite Unique Healing Powder by Donna Pessin.
- Read the label of the products you buy to verify that they have been assessed by Health Canada for safety, effectiveness and quality. Health products that have been authorized for sale by Health Canada will have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), Natural Product Number (NPN) or a Homeopathic Drug Number (DIN-HM).
Health Canada received a Canadian report of a consumer who was hospitalized with life-threatening brain, lung, and kidney injury after using this product.
The consumer was treated for metal poisoning and has been released from hospital. According to the report, the consumer had purchased the product for personal use from a U.S.-based website.
Body Bentonite Unique Healing Powder by Donna Pessin was tested and found to contain high levels of the metals aluminum, arsenic, lead and uranium. Ingestion of excessive amounts of metals poses serious health risks because they may accumulate in vital organs of the body. Children are most susceptible to the toxic effects.
Aluminium is a metal. Ingesting high doses of aluminium can cause brain and bone diseases in people with kidney problems.a received a Canadian report of a consumer who was hospitalized with life-threatening brain, lung, and kidney injury after using this product.
Arsenic is a heavy metal that can have toxic effects, including skin and lung cancers, heart and lung diseases, and brain damage. a received a Canadian report of a consumer who was hospitalized with life-threatening brain, lung, and kidney injury after using this product.
Lead is a heavy metal that can have toxic effects, including abdominal pain, anemia, changes in blood pressure, reproductive disorders such as miscarriage, weakness, concentration problems, weight loss, insomnia, dizziness, and kidney and brain damage.
Uranium is a radioactive heavy metal. Exposure to uranium can cause cancer and kidney damage.
Report health or safety concerns
- Call toll-free at 1-866-234-2345
- Visit Health Canada's Web page on Adverse Reaction Reporting for information on how to report online, by mail or by fax
- Date modified: