"Phytovie Acore Vrai Calamus" herbal tea recalled after testing found substance that may pose serious health risks
- Starting date:
- November 4, 2016
- Type of communication:
- Natural health products
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Food Safety
- General Public
- Identification number:
- Products affected
- What you should do
- Who is affected
- Media enquiries
- Public enquiries
- What Health Canada is doing
“Phytovie Acore Vrai Calamus” herbal tea, an unauthorized natural health product, is being recalled after Health Canada testing found it to contain excessive levels of beta-asarone. Beta-asarone can be toxic if consumed in high amounts. The product was sold by Gourmet Nutrition F.B. Inc. over the Internet and may also be available at retail stores
Phytovie Acore Vrai Calamus herbal tea by Gourmet Nutrition F.B. Inc.
What you should do
- Stop using this product. Consult with your health care professional if you have used this product and have health concerns.
- Read product labels to verify that health products have been authorized for sale by Health Canada. Authorized health products have an eight-digit DIN, a DIN-HM or an NPN. You can also check if products have been authorized for sale by searching Health Canada’s Drug Product Database and Licensed Natural Health Product Database.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1-866-234-2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1-800-267-9675, or complete an online complaint form.
Who is affected
Consumers who have bought or used the product.
Phytovie Acore Vrai Calamus herbal tea was found to contain beta-asarone (a chemical found in certain plants) exceeding the maximum level permitted in a natural health product. Ingesting high amounts of beta-asarone can be toxic, and can lead to nausea, prolonged vomiting (for several hours), and a faster-than-normal heart rate, which can be life threatening.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada confirmed that the company, Gourmet Nutrition F.B. Inc., has stopped selling the product and is recalling it from the market. Health Canada will monitor the company’s recall and will inform Canadians if new safety information arises.
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window
- Date modified: