Recalls and alerts more than 4 years old are automatically archived. While this information can still be accessed in the database, it has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Buckley's syrups recalled due to potential choking hazard
- Starting date:
- March 9, 2017
- Posting date:
- March 9, 2017
- Type of communication:
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Choking Hazard
- General Public
- Identification number:
- What you should do
- Who is affected
- Media enquiries
- Public enquiries
- What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada is advising Canadians that GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) Consumer Healthcare Inc. has initiated a voluntary recall of certain Buckley's syrup products from stores. A defect with the plastic seal may cause it to fall into the bottle and present a potential choking hazard if swallowed. This seal is a circular plastic layer that is clear or semi-transparent and approximately 1.7 cm in diameter, pictured below.
The affected products are indicated for use by adults and children above 12 years old. Buckley's Jack and Jill children's syrup is not part of the recall as it uses a different seal.
- Buckley's Complete, DIN 02279703, 150 & 250mL
- Buckley's Complete Mucus Relief, DIN 02357232, 150 & 250mL
- Buckley's Cough & Chest Congestion, DIN 02289164, 150 & 250mL
- Buckley's Cough Mucus & Phlegm, DIN02346451,150 & 250mL
- Buckley's Original Mixture, NPN 02239538, 100 & 200mL
- Buckley's Original Mixture Night Time, DIN 02230939, 100mL
What you should do
- According to GSK Consumer Healthcare Inc., consumers should follow the dosing instructions listed on the label. Do not drink directly from the bottle. Pour the syrup into a teaspoon and check for the plastic seal before consuming.
- Consult with your health care professional if you have used these products and have health concerns.
- Contact GSK Consumer Relations at 1-800-250-8866 if you have questions about this recall.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1-866-234-2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1-800-267-9675, or complete an online complaint form.
Who is affected
- Consumers who have bought or used these products.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada is monitoring the company's recall. If new safety information is identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians.
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window
- Date modified: