Recalls and alerts more than 4 years old are automatically archived. While this information can still be accessed in the database, it has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Unauthorized kratom products seized from Culture Rising store in Milton, ON
- Starting date:
- July 7, 2017
- Posting date:
- July 7, 2017
- Type of communication:
- Natural health products
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Unauthorized products
- General Public
- Identification number:
- Products affected
- What you should do
- Who is affected
- Media enquiries
- Public enquiries
- What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada is advising Canadians that it has seized several unauthorized kratom products from Culture Rising at 1248 Main St E, Milton, ON. Kratom may pose serious health risks when swallowed or inhaled.
Health Canada has not authorized the sale any product containing kratom. It is illegal to sell any health products in Canada without authorization from Health Canada. The Department advises consumers not to swallow or inhale products labeled to contain kratom because of the potential side effects, including liver and heart problems.
- Botanicals Green Vein kratom powder
- Botanicals Red Vein kratom powder
- Botanicals Super Green Vein kratom powder
- Botanicals Maeng Da kratom powder
- Kratomsource.ca Red Bali kratom powder
What you should do
- Stop using these products. Consult with your health care professional if you have used any of these products and have health concerns.
- Read product labels to verify that health products have been authorized for sale by Health Canada. Authorized health products have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), Natural Product Number (NPN) or Homeopathic Drug Number (DIN-HM). You can also check whether products have been authorized for sale by searching Health Canada's Drug Product Database and Licensed Natural Health Product Database.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1-866-234-2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1-800-267-9675, or complete an online complaint form.
Who is affected
- Consumers who have bought or used these products.
Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) is a herbal product that may pose serious health risks when swallowed or inhaled. Side effects include drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, seizures, liver toxicity and excessively rapid heartbeat. Kratom has been linked to both narcotic and stimulant-like effects, and has potential for abuse and dependence.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada seized the products from the retail location. Should additional retailers or distributors be identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians as necessary. Health Canada is also working with the Canada Border Services Agency to stop kratom products from entering Canada illegally.
Select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window
- Date modified: