Recall Re-Announcement: IKEA Canada recalls IKEA Chests of Drawers
- Starting date:
- November 21, 2017
- Posting date:
- November 21, 2017
- Type of communication:
- Consumer Product Recall
- Children's Products, Household Items
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Physical Hazard
- General Public
- Identification number:
IKEA children’s chests of drawers taller than 60 cm (23 ½ inches) and IKEA adult chests of drawers taller than 75 cm (29 ½ inches).
This notice involves all IKEA children’s chests of drawers taller than 60 cm (23 ½ inches) and adult chest of drawers taller than 75 cm (29 ½ inches) sold to June 2016. The affected IKEA chests of drawers will have a label affixed to the product with the company name “IKEA”, the model name, and the manufacturing date. The affected IKEA chests of drawers model names are:
- Alesund, Alleby, Alvesta, Aneboda, Angus, Ånes, Arup, Askedal, Askvoll, Aspelund, Balstar, Bankeryd, Bergsmo, Bialitt, Birkeland, Blimp, Boj, Brett, Brimnes, Boksta, BJÖRN, BÖRKVALLA, Brusali, Busunge, Diktad, Edland, Elis, Engan, Eksil, Fjell, Fjord, Flaten, Fridolin, Granås, Gute, Haddal, Hajdeby, Hemnes, Hensvik, Herrestad, Holleby, Hovdal, Hopen, Hosteland, Hurdal, IKEA PS, Kabin, Kirkenes, Knot, Koppang, Kusk, Kurs, Kullen, Kviby, Leksvik, Lo, Lomen, Mac, Malm, Mast, Mammut, Mandal, Meråker, Midsund, Natura, Narvik, Nordli, Nordnes, Nornas, Nyvoll, Ottenby, Rakke, Ramberg, Ranvik, Rodd, Robin, Rustik, Sala, Skarnes, Sandefjord, Stranda, Sveio, Stavanger, Stockholm, Stuva, Sundvik, Tarva, Tassa, Tovik, Trandum, Trogen, Trondheim, Trysil, Tyssedal, Undredal, Varde, Vajer, Vallvik, Vestby, Vinstra, Visdalen, Vollen.
Visit the IKEA Secure It! Creating Safer Homes Together webpage for a selection of model pictures.
The recalled chests of drawers can tip-over if not securely anchored to the wall, posing a tip-over and entrapment hazard that can result in death or serious injuries to children.
UPDATE on incidents reported:
As of November 17, 2017, the company has received 8 reports of tip-over incidents in Canada and 6 injuries. In the United States, the company has received 299 reports of tip-over incidents, resulting in 8 deaths and 144 injuries to children between the ages of 19 months and 10 years old.
Approximately 4.5 million IKEA chests of drawers have been sold at IKEA stores across Canada and online at http://www.ikea.com/ca/en.
Approximately 17.3 million IKEA chests of drawers were sold in the USA.
Time period sold
The IKEA chests of drawers have been sold since 1993 in Canada.
Place of origin
Manufactured in Poland, Brazil, Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, Italy, Portugal, Slovakia, Sweden, Thailand, Lithuania, and Germany.
IKEA Canada Limited Partnership
What you should do
Consumers should immediately stop using all affected chests of drawers that are not securely anchored to the wall, and move them to an area that children can not access.
Consumers have two options to remedy the tip-over hazard of the chest of drawers. Consumers may obtain a free anchoring repair kit to secure the chest of drawers to the wall OR may contact IKEA for a refund:
- Consumers should visit IKEA Canada retail locations for a free wall anchoring kit to use with the affected chests of drawers. To receive the anchoring kit by mail, consumers should contact IKEA Customer Support Centre at 1-800-661-9807 or by visiting ikea.ca/saferhomestogether.
- Consumers are advised to install the kit themselves or contact IKEA Customer Support Centre at 1-800-661-9807 for a one-time free in-home anchoring kit installation service.
- Consumers who would not like to secure the affected IKEA chests of drawers to the wall should return them to any IKEA location for a refund. Consumers are entitled to a full refund for chests of drawers manufactured between January 2002 and June 2016. Consumers with chests of drawers manufactured prior to January 2002 will be eligible for a partial store credit.
For more information, consumers may contact IKEA Canada by visiting the Secure It! Creating Safer Homes Together webpage or by calling the toll-free number 1-800-661-9807.
Please note that the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act prohibits recalled products from being redistributed, sold or even given away in Canada.
Health Canada would like to remind Canadians to report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product or any other consumer product or cosmetic by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.
This recall is also posted on the OECD Global Portal on Product Recalls website. You can visit this site for more information on other international consumer product recalls.
- Date modified: