PurpleAir recalls PowerStream power supplies for PA-II and PA-II-SD air quality sensors
- Starting date:
- January 22, 2019
- Posting date:
- January 22, 2019
- Type of communication:
- Consumer Product Recall
- Electronics, Specialized Products
- Source of recall:
- Health Canada
- Fire Hazard
- General Public
- Identification number:
PowerStream power supply to the PurpleAir model PA-II and PA-II-SD air quality sensors.
This recall involves power supplies bearing model number RKPO-UL052000C which is located on the front of the power adapter. These are supplied by PowerStream Technology to PurpleAir to supply power to air quality sensors sold to customers by PurpleAir.
PurpleAir distributed the PowerStream power supplies with its PA-II and PA-II-SD air quality sensors which it sells exclusively on-line. PurpleAir does not sell the PowerStream power supplies separately.
PurpleAir has received reports of thermal events (arcing, sparking, smoking) originating in the power supplies. The thermal event is limited to the power supply and not PurpleAir’s air sensors, but the arcing, sparking, and smoking may pose a risk of fire if combustible material is near the power supply when it experiences a thermal event. Discoloration can result on the surface where a power supply is mounted.
As of Jan 22, 2019, PurpleAir has received no reports of thermal events or injuries in Canada.
Approximately 172 units of the affected power supplies were sold in Canada.
Time period sold
The affected power supplies were sold from October 2017 to August 2018.
Place of origin
Manufactured in China.
PowerStream Power Supply
What you should do
Consumers should immediately cease using the power supply model number RKPO-UL052000C shipped with PA-II or PA-II-SD air sensors and do the following to receive a replacement power supply:
- Disconnect each current power supply from the outlet and PurpleAir Sensor;
- Cut off both cords on each end of the power supply to prevent it from being used by anyone;
- Take a picture of each destroyed power supply, label side up, with the cables cut off;
- Email a picture of each destroyed power supply to email@example.com with "Proof of Destruction" in the subject line;
- Include the following in the body of the email:
- Consumer's name
- Confirm the quantity of power supplies (a photo of each destroyed power supply should be attached to the email)
- Air Sensor ID for each unit included in this request
- Address where the new power supply should be sent
- Any other relevant information consumer wants to include
- Recycle the destroyed power supplies and cables in comliance with local regulations.
Once PurpleAir receives the email with proof of destruction and requesting replacement(s), it will begin processing the request and will provide one or more replacements within seven (7) days of the request or as soon thereafter as practicable.
For more information, consumers may contact PurpleAir by telephone at 1-800-474-0696 between 9:00 am and 5:00pm MST, Monday through Friday.
Please note that the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act prohibits recalled products from being redistributed, sold or even given away in Canada.
Health Canada would like to remind Canadians to report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product or any other consumer product or cosmetic by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.
This recall is also posted on the OECD Global Portal on Product Recalls website. You can visit this site for more information on other international consumer product recalls.
- Date modified: